This is one of the tastiest spinach poriyals. A few years ago, one of my friends gave some mysterious seeds that I then sowed in our garden. I wasn’t sure what it would grow into, but it turned out to be a very healthy, green plant. I wasn’t sure what to do with it, or how to cook it, so I tried our hometown style of preparing spinach. It turned out so… good! Since then, for the past few years, we’ve always kept swiss chard in our garden. In markets, you can find it with red and yellowish white stalks..
- Swiss Chard —————— 1 bunch
- Grated coconut ————- 1/4 cup
- Chile powder —————– 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder ———–1/8 tsp
- Cumin seeds —————– 1 tsp
- Split urad dal —————– 1 tsp
- Cooking oil ——————– 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
How to make
- Wash the chard leaves and discard the stalks then cut it to small pieces
- Place a pan on the stove in medium heat
- Add cooking oil, cumin seeds and split urad dal
- Add the cut chard and cook for 3 minutes
- Add the turmeric powder, chili powder and salt
- Mix them well
- Add the grated coconut and mix it again
- After a minute switch off the stove
- Now the tasty chard poriyal should be ready to serve
- You can eat it with rice or as side dish with other food
Please try this recipe and share your thoughts!
Note: Swiss chard needs less salt, so add less salt than the other spinach recipes. Also the overall cooking time will take only around 5 minutes.