This is one of my favorite dishes to make. While I was making this, lots of good memories came into my mind. Our hometown in India is closer to the Thengapattanam beach, where we used to get a lot of big size fresh mussels, during the season. Many of our relatives living in other areas visit us during this time, just to buy the mussels from the nearby fish markets. Most of the times, they’d cook the mussels at our home and take it because it is hard to carry them with shells.
When we left our hometown and moved to Chennai, one of my daughters would check often with her aunts back home if it was mussel season yet. Here in the US, we can get it from the Asian marketplaces. The following recipe is from my mother. She makes couple of different dishes using mussels. I will share the other recipe later, but this one is our favorite. My eldest daughter, especially, loves these fried mussels. This mussels fry is a comfort food that I like to make once in a while.
- Mussels———————- 1 bag
- I found these already in tomato garlic sauce, but fresh mussels are preferred.
- Chili powder ————- 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder —— 1/8 tsp
- Cooking oil to fry
- Pinch of salt
How to make
- Without the sauce, pick the mussels from the bag
- In a pan cook the mussels (about 4 minutes), just the mussels, no need to add water
- Then take the flesh out the shell and clean it
- Mix with chili powder, turmeric powder and salt
- Heat the oil in medium heat in a pan and fry it for about 5 minutes
- The mouthwatering fried mussels are ready to serve