When we were living in Chennai, I always bring tamarind from our native place near Thengapattanam in Kanyakumari, where we get fresh tamarind form the tamarind trees near our home. Most of the times, I make excess tamarind juice and waste the leftover. I tried keeping the leftover in the refrigerator for later use, but that didn’t work well. Since I get tamarind each time when we go home, once amma was joking that if I was eating all those tamarind. Then, once I tried freezing the leftover juice and it worked out well. Nowadays I always make large quantity of tamarind juice and store them in the freezer as cubes and use the cubes when needed. This is lot easier than making the juice each time.
- Luke warm water ——————- 2 1/2 cups
- Tamarind ——————————– 2 medium lemon size
How to do it
- In a bowl soak the tamarind in the water for 20 to 30 minutes
- Then squeeze the tamarind by hand to make the juice and filter it using a strainer
- Pour this in the ice cube tray and keep it in the freezer
- Once it freezes, take it out and store the cubes in freezer safe bags
Note: Once you start using the cubes, you will get to know how many cubes are required for a particular dish. From a cup of juice, I get approximately 12 cubes, based on that I decide the number of cubes to be used.