Today I am going to write a recipe to make kovakkai poriyal from frozen kovakkai. You can make it from fresh kovakkai too.
Steam the kovakkai (1 lb) for 10 minutes and keep it ready with the following ingredients.
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp split urad dal
- 1 onion medium size (cut it into lengthwise pieces)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- salt to taste
- Take a kadai and heat it in medium heat
- Add the oil and the mustard seeds
- Wait for the mustard seeds to start crackling and add the cumin seeds and split urad dal
- When the split urad dal turns to golden color, add the onion and saute for few minutes
- Once the onion is half cooked, add the steamed kovakkai
- Add salt and the spice powders and cook for few minutes
- Then add the grated coconut and saute for another couple of minutes
Now we will get a tasty kovakkai poriyal. Enjoy it with rice.